Re: [Openexr-devel] wish for memory-to-memory version

From: Ken McGaugh
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] wish for memory-to-memory version
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 16:24:40 +0000

gary demos wrote:

Dear OpenExr developers, and the ILM OpenExr team,

The current reference implementation OpenExr1.2 (which I am using on the Mac
under OS X.3.5)
is for file-to-memory, and memory-to-file.  That is, if I have a "half" image
in memory,
I can write it to a file, and if I have a file, I can read it into a "half"
image in memory.

I would like to request your consideration of a memory-to-memory capability,
such that
if I already have the file in memory, I can decode it into a "half" image in
memory,
and visa-versa.

You can do that already by writing your own memory I/O classes derived from
Imf::IStream
and Imf::OStream.  There is already a class for writing to a stringstream
called Imf::StdOSStream.
It would be nice if the library also provided an Imf::StdISStreaml.  But it is
pretty simple
to write your own.

--Ken