Re: [Openexr-devel] Color Management Proposal / Siggraph meeting

From: Florian Kainz
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] Color Management Proposal / Siggraph meeting
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 18:13:14 -0700

I guess I should have been more careful about the wording of the
section on painting:

In the proposal, we suggest that all OpenEXR images live in the color
space that we call scene-referred.  Several people had asked how one
would paint a scene-referred image.  One possibility is to make the
paint software aware of the proposed color management scheme.  In this
case all image manipulations happen in scene-referred space; in order
to display the image, the paint program continuously applies the SROM,
OMRD and RDPD.

The example where a primitive paint program saves images in a file
format where pixel values correspond more or less directly to screen
frame buffer values was meant to illustrate that this case can handled
in our scheme:  Even if all you have is an image that lives in the
display's color space, you can derive a scene-referred image from it.
The example is not meant as an attack on Photoshop or on any other
software with built-in ICC profile support.

Our color management proposal is meant to work in a film and video
production environment, where ICC profiles have, for whatever reason,
not been successful.  I don't really care whether the concepts described
in the proposal describes are a subset or a superset of ICC profiles
(I think they are neither).  The proposal attempts to address problems
specific to film production.

Florian

Chris Cox wrote:

A few notes:

A paint program does not necessarily paint directly into the display framebuffer - it paints into an offscreen buffer and transforms the color data to the display framebuffer. Thus the painting may exist in a colorspace totally unrelated to the display device(s) used.

So paintings should have an image colorspace, with no reference to the display or framebuffer. The inverse display transform should not be involved unless you are dealing with a primitive paint system that does draw directly to the framebuffer (at which point you simply use the display profile for the image colorspace).

There is already a well known and well used framework for describing color transformations: ICC profiles. They do have limitations with regard to HDR data - but that could be fixed. Defining yet another color transformation syntax seems a bit silly.

Yes, the concept you describe is sound: because it is a subset of the well proven concepts already in use within the ICC color management framework available in many professional applications and implemented in common desktop OSes.

Chris