Re: [Openexr-devel] exchanging exr's

From: Ken McGaugh
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] exchanging exr's
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 17:56:46 +0100

Ciaran Wills wrote:

I like the idea of storing density values directly in the EXR file
(obviously labelled as such), and doing away with the whole cineon/log
encoding business.  I get the impression Kevin's not entirely happy with
that though - am I right?  Surely it's no worse than having encoded
density values ala Cineon?

Philosophical reasons aside, we don't want to put densities directly
in the exr because that would require a conversion process on our side
before sending the files for filmout.

The artists here only ever see linear exr's, including the files they
write out from the 2D comps.  We want to ship exr's to Cinesite for
filmout only so that we don't have to waste resources converting them
to print density (either in cineon or exr or whatever) when their
software can do it on-the-fly.

--Ken