Re: [Openexr-devel] file conversion tools?

From: Axel Waggershauser
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] file conversion tools?
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 23:29:08 +0200

On Tue, 2004-05-25 at 19:08, Richard Annema wrote:
> RGBe and LogLuv TIFF have different colorspace mappings (in essence, lossy
> on first encoding) than OpenEXR. So converting to OpenEXR gains you no
> actual image information. You do, of course, gain all the other advantages
> of the OpenEXR format.

I just wanted to convert a hand full of rgbe/tiff files to exr since I
am working on a viewer application for large OpenEXR environment maps.
We tried to convert a 300M rgbe file with a Photogenics trial (I think
thats what it was called) but after about 10 Minutes of loading on a
+500M RAM box running Windows we ran "out of memory" :-(.

> Conversely, converting from OpenEXR to the other formats will likely result
> in quality loss, and you would most certainly lose all the other advantages
> (alpha channel support, for example. RGBe has none).

I have actually no use for that, no idea why I asked for that in the
first place...

> I understand the reality that implementation might take more time
> than you have available for your conversion process, though.

I could have spend these couple of hours to just write what I need but
thought, that simply asking might have a way better cost/benefit-ratio.

Thanks, anyway

Axel.