[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[Openexr-devel] Re: OpenEXR 1.1.x compatibility with CinePaint and exrto
[Openexr-devel] Re: OpenEXR 1.1.x compatibility with CinePaint and exrtools
Thu, 11 Mar 2004 16:57:07 -0800 (PST)
Sorry this wasn't well-communicated to you, my fault.
I bumped the SONAME to 1 for the 1.1.x series because it adds some new
APIs and I wanted people to be able to keep the 1.0.7 library installed
simultaneously with later releases, for packages like Cinepaint, Shake,
etc. which may have dependencies on 1.0.7 and haven't yet been upgraded to
Version 1.1.1, which we'll be releasing in the next week, is also a
development release, but it breaks compatibility with tiled files created
Hopefully, when we release 1.2, the next stable release, the file format
will be the same as 1.1.1, but we can't be sure; that's why the 1.1.x
series is a development release.
So maybe we should bump the soname to 1.1 for 1.1.1 and then bump to 2 for
the 1.2 release, just to be sure that people aren't mistakenly using
development libs against their stable apps? I'm not sure what other
library projects with stable and unstable branches do with sonames when
they release a major stable version, so I'm looking for input on best
practices here. Let me know if you have any recommendations.
As far as Debian unstable goes, I think you can treat OpenEXR 1.1.x just
like Debian treats other development packages (e.g. libsigc++): that is,
go ahead and offer the 1.1 packages with the caveat that 1.1.x is an
unstable development release. Packages like Cinepaint and exrtools should
probably continue to be linked against 1.0.7 until 1.2 is relesed. Of
course, Cinepaint developers are encouraged to try 1.1 and its new
features like support for tiled files in their development sandboxes.
On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 address@hidden wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 09:22:08AM -0800, Drew Hess wrote:
> > You should probably note in your description that this is an
> > unstable/development version of OpenEXR and that the file format for
> > tiled files and/or API could change. (In fact, we are about to
> > change the tiled format for an upcoming 1.1.1 release.)
> > The 1.0.7 is currently the "stable" release and we'll release 1.2
> > when the tiled stuff is all sorted.
> Hi everyone,
> Thanks for pointing this out to me Drew. I didn't know of this
> beforehand. Should I downgrade OpenEXR in Debian's branch unstable
> back to 1.0.7? Will you keeping the same SONAME of OpenEXR's libs at 1
> for the forseeable future?
> I have no idea whether the 1.1 of OpenEXR has any risk of breaking
> compatibility of programs that were built against the 1.0 libs either
> now if they are rebuilt.
> I'm still waiting for Robin to release a tarball for me to test out
> CinePaint 0.18.2, and I'm not the maintainer for exrtools (the only
> other Debian package using OpenEXR). So I'm CC:ing this query to the
> relevant parties.
> Andrew "Netsnipe" Lau