RE: [Openexr-devel] Exr.NET

From: Drew Hess
Subject: RE: [Openexr-devel] Exr.NET
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 12:03:54 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

This is the right list for your questions.

OpenEXR's license allows you to link against it and choose whatever
license you like which is compatible with it, i.e. any license which
doesn't conflict with the terms of the OpenEXR license.  Because OpenEXR's
license is based on the modified BSD license, the only requirement is
that, if you link against OpenEXR code and you distribute it to a third
party, whether for free or otherwise, you include the OpenEXR copyright
somewhere in your "distribution."

Just because you use or wrap OpenEXR in your project doesn't mean you have
to make the source code for your project available.  In other words,
OpenEXR can be used safely by "closed source" applications.  Of course, I
encourage you to make your .NET wrapper available as open source software.
We really need bindings for other languages!

You're free to use the OpenEXR license, if you wish, but since it's you
writing and distributing the C# code, you need to put your own name (or
that of your employer) in there as the copyright holder for any code you
write.  You shouldn't need to distribute any code from the OpenEXR
distribution with your release -- the most I think you'll need to do is
distribute the OpenEXR library binaries so that someone downloading your
.NET wrapper doesn't have to go get the OpenEXR libraries separately --
but if you want to for whatever reason, you should leave the license on
those files as-is.

Let me know if you have any other questions.  You can see a very good
summary of free software licenses here:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html

Again, the OpenEXR license is based on the modified BSD license listed on
that page.

As far as the namespace goes, why not keep the same namespaces that
OpenEXR uses in C++: IlmImf, Imath, etc.?  That seems like the least
confusing option.

-dwh-