Re: [Openexr-devel] (no subject)

From: Richard Annema
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] (no subject)
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 20:48:31 +0100

Hey all,

A document on how to read the files that the SplutterFish Max OpenEXR file
reader/writer produces is in the making - we're a bit busy with 3ds max 6
and v2 development of our main product at this time.
You should be able to decipher the file, though - the OpenEXR file writer
displays all the labels and datatypes used.

As for the UINT for RGBA - correct, it wasn't intended for it. The storage
is in a format that should be labeled as being 'packedRGBA'. Basically it
allows for 8bit/channel storage where OpenEXR does not normally support
8bit/channel (BYTE, or uhm.. QUART?) storage :)
To quote Steve when he added that.. "They made it extensible. I'm extending
it :)"
I'll ask him what the specifics of that storage format are, at least.

In my opinion, at least on the topic of all the extra channels, I think it
would be good to get some agreement across developers on what to label
channels and what attributes to set - I'm sure this will be talked about
more once we can get that document together.

For now, I bid you adieu with a peculiar Japanese device I forgot about
until I spotted it in our OpenEXR discussion logs, the CD-Poit!
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/pc/docs/article/20011005/maxell.htm

Kindest regards,
Richard Annema
Director of Client Relations