Re: [Openexr-devel] (no subject)

From: Drew Hess
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] (no subject)
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 10:12:47 -0800 (PST)

Hi James,

Yes, you can export any channel as UINT.

How values are represented in a UINT channel is unspecified by the file
format; it's up to the application to decide that.  You should ask the
Splutterfish team about the method they use (or maybe they'll answer here,
I think they read this mailing list).

If you're using the 1.0.6 release of OpenEXR, the IlmImf library supports
automatic datatype conversion for InputFile objects, but it doesn't try to
be clever about scaling or normalization; it simply converts the data type
(modulo representation issues like infinities, etc.).

So, for example, if the file has a UINT channel and a sample value of 255,
and you ask for a FLOAT channel in your frame buffer, readPixels will
convert that to 255.0 float.  If you want that to be mapped to 1.0, you'll
have to scale the float buffer after you get it back from readPixels ().

-dwh-