[Openexr-devel] Re: Mac stuff

From: Derek Ledbetter
Subject: [Openexr-devel] Re: Mac stuff
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 15:24:31 -0700

On Tuesday, April 8, 2003, at 09:04 AM, address@hidden wrote:

>Anyway, the crash seems to be happening in testHalfLut() in testLut.cpp
>when the HalfLut lut is being instantiated ( line 64 ). Stepping through
>the constructor, the nearest I can find is something going wrong in the
>constructor of halfFunction in halfFunction.h. I'm afraid I haven't
>stepped right through the loop in the  function to see exactly where
>things are going wrong ( which would take a while ), I stepped a bunch
>of times and then continued and crashed. I've tried this a couple of
>times. A few times the debugger has caught an "uresolved page-fault
>exception", but most of the time the machine just crashes hard. I must
>say it's been a while since I've experienced the old OS 9
>debug-crash-restart-repeat development method :-). Thinking something
>might be up with VM I turned it off, but to no effect.

The problem is stack overflow. Each HalfLut object consists of an array of 1<<16 half objects, so that's 128kB. On OS 9, the size of the stack is the value in the "PPC Target" settings panel. Currently, it's just 64kB. On OS X, the stack is practically only limited by your swap space.

I see two ways of fixing this: either make it a static variable, or create it on the free store. You could also just make the stack larger.