Re: [Openexr-devel] More documentation coming? Questioins on writing fi

From: Drew Hess
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] More documentation coming? Questioins on writing files etc...
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 22:37:49 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003, Mr 'Zap' Andersson wrote:

> On Stardate 25 Jan 2003, 13:44, subspace transmissions from Drew Hess
> <address@hidden> indicated:
>
> > > 1. Before I start... Is someone already working on a 3DSMax bitmap IO
> > > plugin, making my effort redundant?
> >
> > Not that I'm aware of.  Sounds like a good idea.
>
> Good. Is there some more documentation coming? I find this slightly
> underdocumented. While I can decode the usage of reading from the display
> app, the usage for writing kinda eludes me. Especially since I would like
> to be able to export as many channgls as MAX supports...

There were a few emails that went out last week about writing OpenEXR
images.  I'll mail them to you privately.

We'll probably set up a FAQ, at least, for these sorts of questions.  As
Florian said earlier, we'll wait until the file format stabilizes before
we write any formal specs or documentation.

> Also... should I implement any of this deblur, knee etc. stuff in the
> import, or should I simply import the data as-is and let the existing MAX
> functions for tweaking response curves do that job instead? As I feel
> those functions are kinda meant for DISPLAY anyway... right?

Yeah, those functions are for display, but if MAX expects image data to be
"cooked" for display, you'll need to apply at least a gamma curve to get
them into the display space that MAX expects.

-dwh-