om-synth

Re: [Om-synth] effeciency + a bit poly

From: Dave Robillard
Subject: Re: [Om-synth] effeciency + a bit poly
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 12:32:09 +1000

On Wed, 2005-03-08 at 16:56 +0200, Atte André Jensen wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm starting to think about effeciency.
>
> 1) I asked on lau for a benchmark tool, and Steve Harris send me this:
> http://plugin.org.uk/ladspa-swh/timetest/. Do we have other options for
> benchmarking plugins?
>
> 2) Is it possible to have a single instance of say a chorus, that all
> voices run through to save cpu on a polyphonic patch?
>
> 3) This leads me to: I fiddled around with the "all voices/specific
> voice" control but I couldn't make them have any effect. I also read
> http://atte.dk/om-wiki/SubpatchingAndPolyphony, and I don't get it. Well
> I get some but not all. I suspect this + 2) is related, or???

Yes.  If you want to have only one copy of a chorus plugin (which you
almost certainly do), you want to have that as a monophonic node.  This
is what the page on the wiki is all about.

Make sure the "polyphonic" checkbox in the load plugin window is not
selected when you add the node.  You can't change it after the fact.

FWIW, I usually keep the polyphonic stuff in a subpatch, and run it
through effects in the parent patch, to keep things seperated and more
flexible in the future.  This is a better practise - there should
probably be a page on the wiki about "good Om practises" like this.

-DR-