Re: [octave forge] releasing (was: ... and template Makefiles)

From: Olaf Till
Subject: Re: [octave forge] releasing (was: ... and template Makefiles)
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2019 23:12:00 +0100

On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 06:05:12PM -0700, Mike Miller wrote:
> Hi Olaf,
>
> Olaf Till wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 02:37:36PM -0700, Mike Miller wrote:
> > > I would be happy to volunteer as an Octave Forge release admin if other
> > > people are willing to help with independent review of the package
> > > validation steps.
> >
> > It would be nice if you could help as such a release admin. (And you
> > already have the necessary access rights.)
>
> Ok, I can try to help with that as time allows. Are there written
> instructions on the mechanics of how to use SourceForge to make a
> package release? I know how to make a tag and can probably figure out
> how to upload a tarball. But what about the HTML docs? Adding to the
> "Recent news" lists? Any other steps needed?

Nice that you are willing to help. For zeromq, I've gone through the
procedure (after Carne has given me access) and noted the steps, so
here are some instructions:

Put the new package tarball to:
<username>@frs.sourceforge.net:/home/frs/project/octave/Octave\ Forge\
Packages/Individual\ Package\Releases/

It will take some minutes until the tarball is automatically copied
from there to be available online.

unpack the package html and do something corresponding to:

rsync -av --delete <package-name>-html/<package-name>/
<username>,address@hidden:htdocs/packages/<package-name>/

update <username>,address@hidden:htdocs/news.html

remember to notify the package maintainer at the release forum, the
maintainer should announce the release at the list

tag the release changeset in the repository (only for 'community'
packages)

hints:

From now on, we should inform each other before we start to publish a
certain release, so that the other(s) don't try to do it at the same
time. Since we don't know if and when Oliver comes back, we should
notify him also.

I havn't looked into this yet, but the new web-site of OF sometimes
seems to require the browsers reload button to be pressed to see
changes.

htdocs/ (see above) at the web-site corresponds to htdocs/ in the
'project-web' package, but contains some more directories (in
particular, under htdocs/packages/, the html directories of the
individual packages), some generated files, and maybe some more
files. Note that htdocs/news.html is not necessarily always in sync
between the web-site and the 'project-web' package (the file at the
web-page being potentially newer; this is to avoid too frequent
commits to the project-web package).

I'm using a local copy of the web-site, serviced by apache2 for
localhost, and do any changes there first, before I propagate them to
the real web-site. Before I propagate the package html to Octave
Forge, I check from the local copy whether the package tarball is
already available for download.

Olaf