Re: [octave forge] releasing and template Makefiles

From: Julien Bect
Subject: Re: [octave forge] releasing and template Makefiles
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2019 23:08:31 +0100

Le 14/03/2019 à 16:16, JuanPi a écrit :
2. Our developer tools are good but still too mangled. I tried to help
with the Makefiles, but got demotivated by the constant effort to make
a complicated Makefiel that covers all possible cases. My suggestion
is that we split Makefile sin use cases and offer all the templates,
instread of just one for all

In my opinion, asking each package maintainer to have a "maintainer Makefile" at the root of its package was not a good idea in the first place, for two reasons :

1) It makes it very difficult to upgrade the Makefiles of all packages when the OF admin improve the "template" Makefiles (unless they are identical to the template version, but then there is no reason to put them in the package).

2) It forces package maintainers to learn about Makefiles (again, unless they are satisfied with the template version, but then...).

Again in my opinion : Makefiles are an overly powerful tool for the simple administrative tasks that we need to perform with packages (with most packages, at least).

I prefer the approach of R which provides simple commands such R CMD check, R CMD build, R CMD install, etc. [1].

Similarly in Rust : cargo build, cargo doc, cargo install, etc. [2].

Just my 2 cents...

@++
Julien

[1] https://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-exts.html#Checking-and-building-packages