Re: New Command Window widget as GSoC project?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: New Command Window widget as GSoC project?
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2019 20:40:13 -0400

On 3/12/19 4:23 PM, Mike Miller wrote:

As I understand it, the idea was proposed years ago to make the command
window *not* be a true terminal emulator, instead develop a brand new
command window widget that is more like an interactive text area. So all
prompting, input, and output would be done with Qt.

Yes, that has been my plan for a long time now, but I haven't had sufficient time to actually do the work.

This might make it easier to do things like move the cursor back through
the buffer, insert hyperlinks into error messages and doc strings, and
have a common implementation on all operating systems.

Having the same implementation on all systems would be good. We could also eliminate the separate driver program on Unixy systems that does a setsid call to give up the controlling terminal (necessary for less to work properly as the pager). At one time I thought this change to the command window could also improve interrupt handling but now I'm not sure. We would lose the ability to execute text-based programs in the command window (for example, using "system ('emacs -nw')") but that's not fully functional now anyway, so we're not losing much.