Re: Hardening BIST tests

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Hardening BIST tests
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2019 18:03:01 -0800

On Fri, Feb 08, 2019 at 16:18:55 -0800, Rik wrote:
> I could not run the test suite in a read-only directory as I immediately got
>
> __run_test_suite__: could not open /home/rik/..../fntests.log for writing

This is pretty easy to work around

    > test/fntests.log
    chmod -R a-w . ${srcdir}   ## in my case, srcdir == ..
    chmod u+w test/fntests.log
    make check

No errors here. I've done this before and found only this bug, which is
still open, but I had added a FIXME workaround a few weeks ago:

  https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?53578

Btw, running the test suite read-only is done very often. Any time a
non-privileged user starts Octave installed as root (or administrator on
Windows) and runs '__run_test_suite__'. It's also run about once a day
on the Debian CI infrastructure.

More hardening ideas, some of which I have tested already:

 - run with DISPLAY set to empty, or with --no-window-system
 - run with HOME set to / or to a nonexistent directory
 - run with TMPDIR set to /var/tmp
 - run with "format long" or some other custom format (e.g. bug #55539)

--
mike