Re: Octave 5.0 Release

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: Octave 5.0 Release
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2018 15:23:43 +0000

On Thu, 6 Dec 2018 at 13:37, Pantxo <address@hidden> wrote:

> Rik-4 wrote
> > All,
> >
> > The next release of Octave, version 5.0, is scheduled for the end of the
> > year.  I have been the release manager for the last few cycles, but don't
> > have the time to do it this year.  If there are one or two people that
> > could lead the effort this year it would be most appreciated.  I can help
> > out with suggestions, and there is a checklist for the release process in
> > etc/RELEASE.PROCESS that can become a page on the Octave Wiki.
> >
> > Let me know if you can help.  Thanks,
> > Rik
>
> Hi Rik,
>
> I can't offer my self as a release manager since I don't think I have the
> required skills and because I'll be very busy during the coming month with
> professional and personal duties.
>
> I was not present when this decision of releasing new versions of Octave at
> the end of each year was made at OctConf. I remember that I was quite
> surprised when I heard about it and this particular date: in France (I don't
> know about other countries), the end of the year is typically a period of
> time where people spend much time in family (Christmas holidays) and not in
> front of their computer.
>
> I'll be happy to invest more time than before in some of the tasks for the
> release, but definitely not before the beginning of January.

I think there's been some confusion here.  The plan is not to release
during the holidays.  The plan is to freeze (merge default in stable)
before the Christmas holidays and release during January (~4 weeks
after freeze).

One of the reasons was exactly the lack of time during the holidays.
Changes pushed to @ during the holidays would then not go into the
next release.