Re: Octave 5.0 Release

From: Kai Torben Ohlhus
Subject: Re: Octave 5.0 Release
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2018 23:51:50 +0100

On Thu, Dec 6, 2018 at 2:38 PM Pantxo <address@hidden> wrote:
Rik-4 wrote
> All,
>
> The next release of Octave, version 5.0, is scheduled for the end of the
> year.  I have been the release manager for the last few cycles, but don't
> have the time to do it this year.  If there are one or two people that
> could lead the effort this year it would be most appreciated.  I can help
> out with suggestions, and there is a checklist for the release process in
> etc/RELEASE.PROCESS that can become a page on the Octave Wiki.
>
> Let me know if you can help.  Thanks,
> Rik

Hi Rik,

I can't offer my self as a release manager since I don't think I have the
required skills and because I'll be very busy during the coming month with
professional and personal duties.

I was not present when this decision of releasing new versions of Octave at
the end of each year was made at OctConf. I remember that I was quite
surprised when I heard about it and this particular date: in France (I don't
know about other countries), the end of the year is typically a period of
time where people spend much time in family (Christmas holidays) and not in
front of their computer.

I'll be happy to invest more time than before in some of the tasks for the
release, but definitely not before the beginning of January.

Pantxo

Dear Rik, Pantxo, and all,

My time till Christmas is limited too.  If there is no manpower (low response to your email) to make this happen this month, maybe it was more desirable to wait for the OctConf for it?  This gives us about 3 months to add some pending patches and features until some soon communicated "feature-freeze" end of January.  Anyways, what is the state of the https://wiki.octave.org/OctConf_2019 ?  Will we meet again at CERN.  Three months is a good time to book flights, hotels, etc.

Best,
Kai