Re: Help needed to update our use of OpenGL

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Help needed to update our use of OpenGL
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2018 16:09:39 -0400

On 09/12/2018 03:54 PM, Pantxo wrote:

Yes, among what we use, the so called fixed pipeline is deprecated and won't
be necessarily part of future implementations. At best, those functions will
get no attention and stay there but become more and more buggy without a
hope for a fix.
The GL_FEEDBACK mode, on which we rely for printing, is also deprecated and
I have no hope that e.g. the bug below will get fixed:
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=48689

That's also my thinking. Even though these interfaces are not likely to go away any time soon, it probably doesn't help us to continue using them.

VTK is already using modern OpenGL so it may be worth looking at their code.
For printing, they directly feed gl2ps with primitives they fetched in a
transform feedback buffer(see [1] and [2]).

Thanks for the pointers.  Having examples is helpful.

I never programmed anything in modern OpenGL, so I can't really help, but if
such restructuring should happen I'd be happy to discuss the opportunity of
abstracting our current opengl_renderer into something more general, say
base_render. The latter would be "rendering technology agnostic" (actual
drawing and property changes are done in pure virtual functions) and would
serve as a base for the opengl_renderer and eventually for any kind of 2D-3D
renderer someone may want to implement (I was thinking about qt_renderer,
cairo_renderer for 2D printing).
Yes, I think this kind of refactoring would be good. We could also move in this direction independently of updating our use of OpenGL.