Re: Octave-Forge: Redesign with responsive layout

From: Alex
Subject: Re: Octave-Forge: Redesign with responsive layout
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2018 02:02:30 -0700

On Sun, Aug 26, 2018, 11:48 PM Julien Bect <address@hidden> wrote:
Le 27/08/2018 à 00:01, Oliver Heimlich a écrit :
I have added a little more orange color for the code-snippets. Depending
on your location, it might take up to 24h to deliver the new CSS through the CDN.

I can see it.   The extra touch of orange is nice, but I think that currently it makes the text less readable (because of the white background).  I would suggest a darker shade of orange and/or a bolder font (and/or a slightly darker background).

Do you have any ideas for colorful content that could be added to the home page?

Perhaps the sombrero could be in color ?  (But then I'm not sure about the blue background, perhaps black would look nicer ?)

This is certainly more work, but we could have an additional section between "Extra packages for GNU Octave" and "Installation" that shows one or (a few) randomly selected package(s), with its (their) colorful logo(s), and the link "browse the  full list of packages" ?

Anyway, maybe that's just me, please don't change anything if I'm the only one who finds the white & blue look a little cold...

Also, I find that the presentation with bullet points on Octave's page (under "Scientific Programming Language") is catchier than the block of text on Octave-Forge's page.

Perhaps something like (I have removed the verbs) :

* Central location for collaborative development of packages for GNU Octave.

* Expands Octave's core functionality by providing field specific features via Octave's package system.

* Image and signal processing, fuzzy logic, instrument control, and statistics... and more !  (browse the full list of packages).

Looks good! Great work!

I agree about the colors and breaking up the homepage text  into smaller paragraphs or bullets.

One piece of colorful content you could add is a button linking to the main package list, incorporating the nice stacked cube icon.

--
Alex Krolick