Re: Legacy functions

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: Legacy functions
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2018 14:19:44 -0500 (CDT)

Rik-4 wrote
> Now that we have a new category of functions in the scripts
> directory--functions which Matlab recommends against, but hasn't actually
> eliminated--what other functions should we put there?
>
> These look like possibilities: findstr, flipdim, strmatch, strread.

... textread, ....

To be complete we'd have to check quite a few functions and also change
docstrings; is it really worth developer time & -priority?

Also noting that all this apparently has been triggered by a user that wants
to run Matlab code that has gone unchanged for ~13 years.  No opinion on
that [*], but rather at consequences for our priorities.
Matlab compatibility is one of the biggest foundations of Octave's success
but I sometimes wonder how far the octave project should go in exactly
mimicking Matlab behavior, in this case informing about obsoleteness.
What is the compatibility target anyway: the very newest Matlab release, or
do we lag behind a few releases? (we already do w.r.t. several things: v7.3
mat files & classdef, new string class, table class, object-based graphics.)

[*] FTR at my work we still have Matlab code that is even (much) older and
still runs in Matlab r2018b prerelease.

Philip