Re: Bugs / feature requests

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Bugs / feature requests
Date: Tue, 29 May 2018 14:30:27 -0700

On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 22:51:39 +0200, Julien Bect wrote:
> I was just wondering : what is the difference between a ticket on the bug
> tracker with item group "Feature request"
> <https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/index.php?go_report=Apply&group=octave&bug_group_id=107>
> (there are currently 235 of them) and a ticket on the patch tracker
> <https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?group=octave> (there are currently 175 of
> them) ?

A bug item may be a feature request and may not necessarily have a patch
attached to it.

A patch item may not necessarily be for a new feature.

There is of course overlap between the two.

The bug tracker is more heavily used, and is therefore more often
reviewed in my estimation.

I personally prefer the bug tracker and view it as a superset of the
patch tracker.

> For instance, bug #31626 <https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?31626> (a very old
> one !) looks to me like something that should be on the patch tracker.  But
> perhaps am I missing some subtle difference ?

That seems like a fine bug report to me.

--
mike