Re: Modifications to error handling for the command suggestion feature

From: Sudeepam Pandey
Subject: Re: Modifications to error handling for the command suggestion feature
Date: Wed, 23 May 2018 22:29:12 +0530

On 21 May 2018 9:34 p.m., "Nicholas Jankowski" <address@hidden> wrote:
On Mon, May 21, 2018 at 9:37 AM, Sudeepam Pandey
<address@hidden> wrote:

> On Sun, May 20, 2018 at 4:54 AM, Nicholas Jankowski <address@hidden>
> wrote:
>>

>> On Sat, May 19, 2018, 17:12 Sudeepam Pandey <address@hidden>
>> wrote:

>>> Our primary need is not to print the error message first, but to make
>>> sure that an error message for the mistake made in the last command does not
>>> occur after the user has executed the correct command.
>>

>> yes, that makes sense. Don't want to display error message if you've
>> interrupted the process flow and fixed it.
>>
>> Regarding display or fix, i think that would make for a useful progression
>> of complexity. Walk before you run, and maybe allow the user an option to
>> just walk. (If we have a suggestion toggle, it could be a 3-way toggle)
>

> I'm sorry Nicholas but can you please explain the last part that you said? I
> didn't understand.

Sorry for the lack of clarity. What I basically meant was that I think
it's appropriate to look at this as a two stage goal:  (1) find the
right way to display a suggested correction (and looks like you're
well on the way for that), and (2) find the right way to let the user
execute the suggested correction. I still don't know if the best
option is CLI-inline or a GUI-pop up. But what I meant was it may be
best to leave the suggestion option as one which lets you pick
off/only-suggest/suggest-and-execute

Ohh I understand. I'll keep this in mind and update you soon.