Re: Contributing to GNU/Octave

From: Sudeepam Pandey
Subject: Re: Contributing to GNU/Octave
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2018 23:35:34 +0530

On Fri, Apr 27, 2018 at 7:12 PM, Soheil Soltani <address@hidden> wrote:
Dear Maintainers,

I would like to get involved and contribute to Octave. I can work on the following projects:

Implement solver for initial-boundary value problems for parabolic-elliptic PDEs in 1D
Implement solver for 1D nonlinear boundary value problems
Improve MPI package

I would appreciate to receive some guidelines on how to get in touch with the community, where
to send the contributions, etc.
I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,
Soheil

Hi Soheil, I'd suggest you get familiar with the contributing guidelines first. The best way to do this is to read the information on this[1] page first and then submit a few small patches/ bug fixes. A list of short projects to start the work on can be found here[2]. When you are confident enough, you can start with any project you like. If the project you have decided to work on is a rather big one, you should create a public clone of the main repository (maybe at bitbucket) and push your updates there. You can also work the way SoC students are expected to work by following this link[3].

[1]: https://wiki.octave.org/Contribution_guidelines
[2]: https://wiki.octave.org/Short_projects
[3]: https://wiki.octave.org/Mercurial#Mercurial_Tips_for_SoC_students

Best,