Re: Proceeding with the GSoC Project

From: Sudeepam Pandey
Subject: Re: Proceeding with the GSoC Project
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2018 02:34:48 +0530

On Fri, Apr 27, 2018 at 2:21 AM, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
On 04/26/2018 03:12 PM, Sudeepam Pandey wrote:
Thank you Nir Krakauer for your inputs. The following is an abstract from my GSoC proposal.
_*
Phase 1 evaluations goal*_*:* A set of working Neural Network m-scripts, which, together,
could suggest corrections for typographic errors.

Can you explain how neural networks figure in this task?  I've noticed that recent versions of GCC provide a suggestion feature when identifiers are not recognized.  You might look at how it works.  I think most of the search and matching work is done in the spellcheck.c and spellcheck-tree.c files:

  https://gcc.gnu.org/git/?p=gcc.git;a=blob;f=gcc/spellcheck.c
  https://gcc.gnu.org/git/?p=gcc.git;a=blob;f=gcc/spellcheck-tree.c

Does it use neural networks to do that job?

jwe

This [1] is a demo implementation that I had made earlier to demonstrate my idea. I have explained my idea in the README.md file of this repository. The algorithm that GCC has used is the edit distance algorithm which would, in-fact be equally/ slightly more accurate than Neural Networks for the suggestion task but would probably be slower than Neural Networks. My reason for using Neural Networks is that, they should provide 'just the right amount' of accuracy and should be relatively faster.

[1]: https://github.com/Sudeepam97/Did_You_Mean