Re: GSoC - Octave code sharing

From: Sahil
Subject: Re: GSoC - Octave code sharing
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2018 07:18:19 -0700 (MST)

siko1056 wrote
> To start I suggest you establish some kind of blog (at wordpress, blogger,
> github pages, ...), see for example [1], and we send Jordi the link to
> syndicate on our aggregator http://planet.octave.org/ .  In this blog you
> should give at least once a week a short report about your progress to the
> Octave community.  As initial post you might present your preliminary
> timeline [2].

My blog can be viewed at [3]. This will not change even after GSoC. RSS feed
link is there in [3] but can alternatively be viewed here [4]. I've updated
Week 1 with the abstract and timeline.

siko1056 wrote
> A second step would be to create some kind of public repository(ies),
> where
> you regularly push your (~daily) code changes.  You can also mention this
> location in your blog.  This makes it easier for other maintainers and me
> follow your progress and enables us to help if required.  I would
> recommend
> Bitbucket (and SourceForge) as they support Mercurial.  When becoming an
> Octave maintainer you should get used to Mercurial (but as you wrote on
> your
> wiki user page, you are familiar with it anyway).

The bitbucket repository is at [5]. I've also sent you an invitation for the
same.
The repository has a branch named 'ocs' for the project as all the commits
show up in draft phase of mercurial and I would not want to mess up with the
default branch anyhow. Needless to say,
ocs = https://address@hidden/me_ydv_5/octave
could be added in .hgrc to facilitate one's pulling/pushing.

siko1056 wrote
> Regarding the communication: I try to be more online in IRC
> <siko1056>
> .  But
> the best way to reach me, is by mail(ing list).  If you need help on a
> particular topic, we can arrange a meeting in IRC.  We'll see in the first
> weeks, how you get along with the task and if more communication
> (channels)
> is required.

I'm fine with mailing lists. May be I can just accumulate a few doubts and
then we can talk about them either here on list or on the IRC channel. I'm
always available on IRC. So you can just drop any message if you feel
something to be conveyed and I'll read the same when I run open my IRC
client.

siko1056 wrote
> Wish you a great summer of code,
>
> Kai