Re: Removing XFAILs from test suite summary

From: Rik
Subject: Re: Removing XFAILs from test suite summary
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2018 11:53:45 -0700

On 04/11/2018 11:20 AM, John W. Eaton wrote:
> On 04/11/2018 02:11 PM, Mike Miller wrote:
>
>> However, there will always be one xtest without a bug number, because
>> the test function itself tests the xtest keyword.
>
> Ha, I wonder whether that test is really necessary.

Yes.  We need to test that a %!xtest block does not emit an error when the
test code passes, AND that it does emit an error when the test code fails.
In other words, both sides of the coin.  I just created a bug report to
document this (https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/index.php?53613) and then
promptly closed it.  Now I have a bug number that I can use to silence the
reporting.

>> With grep, I also see several other %!xtests without bug numbers that
>> aren't failing on my system, but maybe fail on others, someone might
>> want to look into bug numbers for those as well.
>
> If it's easy to find reports for those, then I'd say add the numbers.
> Otherwise, we should probably just convert them to plain %!test blocks.
> Those may have been tests that failed for a significant period of time so
> we made them xtests so it would be easy to see whether there were any new
> failing tests.  I'm guessing those would have been from a time before we
> handled bug numbers in the test suite.

Probably a good idea.  I took care of creating bug IDs and inserting them
into the xtests for the 5 failing xtests on my system
(http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/b72972ab83f1).

--Rik