Re: Begin phasing out support for Qt 4?

From: Sebastian Schöps
Subject: Re: Begin phasing out support for Qt 4?
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2018 07:29:11 -0700 (MST)

John W. Eaton wrote
> On 04/03/2018 01:31 PM, Mike Miller wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 03, 2018 at 08:27:57 -0400, John W. Eaton wrote:
>>> What about having configure fail by default if an incomplete
>>> installation of
>>> Qt5 is found even if Qt4 might work?  I'm thinking this might avoid some
>>> confusion.  The error message might say something like
>>>
>>>    ERROR: An incomplete set of Qt5 libraries and tools appears to be
>>> installed on your system.  You may fix your Qt5 installation or try the
>>> configure option --with-qt=4 if you would prefer to use Qt4 libraries
>>> and
>>> tools.
>>>
>>> We would only fall back to Qt4 automatically if none of the required Qt5
>>> libraries and tools are detected.
>>
>> Yeah, I think that would be better. So if and only if there are no Qt 5
>> pkg-config files present, then automatically try with Qt 4.
>
> OK, I will try to work on that.
>
> jwe

Dear jwe,

The latest commit broke qt5 for me. I guess that Octave now disables qt5 if
qtchooser is not found? I guess that this is an accident as qtchooser is not
an actual requirement: I have only one qt library (version 5), so there is
no qtchooser?! (and by the way: qtchooser is not part of qt5 itself)

checking Qt version 5... checking for QT... yes
checking for qtchooser... no
checking for moc-qt5... no
checking for moc... moc
checking for uic-qt5... no
checking for uic... uic
checking for rcc-qt5... no
checking for rcc... rcc
checking for lrelease-qt5... no
checking for lrelease... lrelease
checking for qcollectiongenerator-qt5... no
checking for qcollectiongenerator... qcollectiongenerator
checking for qhelpgenerator-qt5... no
checking for qhelpgenerator... qhelpgenerator
configure: WARNING: Your installation of Qt version 5 appears incomplete or
broken in some way.  Fix that or use --with-qt=VER to use another version.
configure: WARNING: one or more of the Qt utilities moc, uic, rcc, lrelease,
qcollectiongenerator, and qhelpgenerator not found; disabling Qt GUI

Sebastian