Re: Begin phasing out support for Qt 4?

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Begin phasing out support for Qt 4?
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2018 17:48:12 -0700

On Mon, Apr 02, 2018 at 20:38:42 -0400, John W. Eaton wrote:
> Is Qt5 required now for a fully functional build?  It seems so, as the new
> off-screen printing and help features rely on Qt5 features, correct?  If so,
> maybe it is time to check only for Qt5 by default, and not check for Qt4
> unless it is explicitly requested on the configure command line?

No, this is not correct. The current stable branch builds with Qt 4.8,
and I think also 4.6. Yes, the offscreen GL rendering support will be
disabled. I think Qt 4.8 supports all of the classes needed for the new
documentation browser, but I have not tested it yet.

I do understand and have helped people debug the confusing situation
when a mix of Qt 5 and 4 packages are installed, but I don't think the
automatic fallback to Qt 4 should be dropped for Octave 4.4.

--
mike