Re: Revert mass exodus of statistics functions

From: Rik
Subject: Re: Revert mass exodus of statistics functions
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2018 09:29:46 -0700

On 03/22/2018 09:00 AM, address@hidden wrote:
Subject:
Revert mass exodus of statistics functions
From:
Carnë Draug <address@hidden>
Date:
03/22/2018 08:38 AM
To:
Message:
2

For the upcoming Octave version, we moved a bunch of Octave functions
from core to the statistics Forge package.  We are also now planning
on having a statistics package as part of core.

This is already causing trouble because we don't a have a release of
the forge package to cover the removed functions.  What if we revert
that change and instead move the functions to the core package for 4.6
release?  This would be less disruption to the end user and avoid the
complications on the current forge package.

How long is this going to be an issue?  If 4.4 is released won't there be an accompanying update and release of the statistics package?
If this is a 6-week problem then I would prefer to just suffer through it.  Even when statistics move back in to core they will still be a package.  I don't think it hurts to start training those users who want all of these functions to put 'pkg load statistics' in their .octaverc file.

--Rik