Re: Xft library warning?

From: Dmitri A. Sergatskov
Subject: Re: Xft library warning?
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2018 21:32:42 -0600

On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 8:44 PM, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:
I’ve just switched from the Fink package manager on macOS to Homebrew. Using Hombrew the only two features I’m lacking are OSMesa and the Xft library.

I think Xft is the X11 Freetype library, correct? On macOS, X11 is not used, and freetype is included as libfreetype2.dylib. Is the warning below meaningful, or just a “feature” resulting from development on X11?

        configure:79601: WARNING: Xft library not found.  OpenGL graphics will not be fully functional.

​I am not sure how it works on MacOS (or Win).​

​I think freetype is a higher level library that uses Xft on X11 systems. ​

​On Fedora:

​rpm -qi freetype
<...>
Description :
The FreeType engine is a free and portable font rendering
engine, developed to provide advanced font support for a variety of
platforms and environments. FreeType is a library which can open and
manages font files as well as efficiently load, hint and render
individual glyphs. FreeType is not a font server or a complete
text-rendering library.

rpm -qi libXft
<...>
Description :
X.Org X11 libXft runtime library

Also:

Dmitri.
--

I am hopeful we’ll be pushing changesets to fix Java and Qt5 support for macOS soon.

Ben