Re: bioinfo package - maintenance of ...

From: Olaf Till
Subject: Re: bioinfo package - maintenance of ...
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2017 21:19:06 +0100

On Wed, Dec 27, 2017 at 12:20:28AM +0100, Alois Schloegl wrote:
> On 2017-12-26 23:53, Julien Bect wrote:
> > Le 26/12/2017 à 22:05, Alois Schloegl a écrit :
> >> It seems there are no further objections on me taking the role as
> >> maintainer of the bioinfo package.
> >>
> >> As discussed, this package will be maintained under a coding
> >> style that is compatible to Octave AND Matlab. Both, Octave
> >> and Matlab, are target platforms. If the code does not run
> >> correctly on any of the target platforms, it is considered a bug.
> >
> > Hi Alois,
> >
> > Unfortunately, it seems to me that there *are* objections.  Indeed, the
> > current OF admins are Olaf Till and Oliver Heimlich, and :
> >
> > 1) Oliver seems to think that the package should be maintained in
> > "Octave style" (*) unless it is placed in the "external group".
> >
> > 2) Olaf seems to think that the package should be in the "community"
> > group (**).
> >
> > Good luck with the negotiations ;-))
> >
> > @++
> > Julien
> >

> > (*) which, apparently, means using # instead of % among other things.
> >
> > (**) however, to this day, no one in the community actually cared enough
> > about this package to actually maintain it...
> >

> I thought I've given enough reasons.
> Oliver, Olaf, do you still have objections ?

You've repeatedly given your reasons. We understand them. I already
told you that.

Oliver and me have given you reasons for our point of view. You have
ignored them in your later posts.

I value the reasons given by Oliver and me higher than the reasons
given by you.

Oliver and me have given some ideas on how to proceed. You've just
done the contrary now, although we already objected to it.

Given this style of (non)co-operation, I think it unlikely that you
will become the maintainer of a package in the "community" group. Even
more since you seem to be determined not to follow Octave coding
style.

AFAIK this has been the first time an Octave Forge developer used his
general write access to do something explicitely objected to by the
Octave Forge administrators. It will have to be reverted. I'll wait
some time still for a possible agreement.

Olaf