Re: 4.4 release plans

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: 4.4 release plans
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2017 14:51:02 -0500

On 12/21/2017 02:44 PM, PhilipNienhuis wrote:
John W. Eaton wrote

    * Make the variable editor feature of the GUI work properly,
including for structures and cell arrays.  This may require some changes
in the way we communicate between the GUI and the interpreter.

Character arrays (strings as well as 2D arrays) are shown as one character
in a cell. For strings that is quite clumsy (IMO).

Yeah, it's not supposed to work that way.

What about "general" objects? (Java, classdef, COM, ...). Currently the
variable editor crashes on Java objects. I thought of making openvar() (or
its siblings) to only accept those classes / types that the variable editor
knows how to show, but I lack the C++ skills to make that happen.

I think we should just skip those for now. What does Matlab's variable editor do with them?

Would you still like spreadsheet I/O (xlsread, xlswrite) in core Octave?
I've been working on that and Markus Muetzel wants to help. xmlread and
xmlwrite would probably come with it.
It would require some discussion on this ML, I think, as there are some
complicated choices involved.

Maybe.  It would be nice to have.  What is needed to move it to core now?

A personal favorite of me is ability to read & write classdef objects
from/to .mat files.

I think making classdef work better may be more of a 4.6 goal for me.