Re: Undetected JRE

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: Undetected JRE
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2017 19:08:52 +0100

Bradley Kennedy wrote:

Brad Kennedy
address@hidden
https://co60.ca

Bradley Kennedy wrote
On 2017-12-16, at 23:43, Daryl Lee <
daryl@
> wrote:
Today I had yet another occasion to build up a Windows workstation from
scratch.  When I got to the step of installing Octave (4.2.1) the
installer told me it couldn't fine a Java JRE, even though I have Java
9.0.1 installed, as evidenced by the output of

java -version
Is that anything for me to worry about?  At first glance, it looks normal
(working GUI, working plots).
Issues arise when mixing a 64-bit Octave with a 32-bit JRE, or vice versa.
Did you check that?

Last time I looked (years ago) OpenJDK builds for Windows proved to be very
unstable.

Hi there Daryl,

There should be (mostly) no issue. We ran Octave 4.2.1 on super computers
for months without Java due to a broken link. You obviously however, can’t
use Java based components.

https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/v4.2.1/Java-Interface.html#Java-Interface
<https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/v4.2.1/Java-Interface.html#Java-Interface>

I had a patch made at one point to let you change the Java directory at
run time (rather now it is set at compile time afaik) but I don’t think
anyone was interested in it.
I can imagine that for Windows such a patch is obsolete as esp. on Windows
the place where Java lives is very well defined and uniform across Windows
versions, and easily uncovered by user programs.
AFAICR from last time I installed Java, the installer didn't even allow to
select the place where Java was to be installed.

For Linux and OSX things are quite different.

<snip>

In enterprise users may have multiple Java installed (even on Windows)
so it might be useful regardless. Not sure how this works if you change
the /version/ of Java with the environment variable however.

AFAIK on Windows Java is found through the registry - the very reason it is so easy for user SW to find it. How to select runtime versions (apart from 64/32bit) isn't clearly outlined anywhere that I know of.

Philip