Re: heads-up on MacOS X & Java

From: Marius Schamschula
Subject: Re: heads-up on MacOS X & Java
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2017 14:21:04 -0500

On Oct 6, 2017, at 2:04 PM, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:

On Oct 6, 2017, at 2:47 PM, Mike Miller <address@hidden> wrote:

On Fri, Oct 06, 2017 at 13:12:03 -0400, Ben Abbott wrote:
With macOS 10.13, Apple has depreciated Java 1.6 for the Mac.

More recent versions do not work with Octave.

Can you clarify what you think this means and what Octave should be
doing differently? Or what specific error you have?

My understanding of Java versions is that Java 9 was just released last
month. In Java 9, Java 1.5 code is now an error and Java 1.6 code is
warned as being deprecated but still works. I changed our build system
to compile for the Java 6 target to be as backwards compatible as
possible while still supporting Java 9.

--
mike

Hi Mike,

I haven’t been keeping up on the state of Java. Perhaps all will work now. I’ll try building against Java 9 and see if that works. If not, I’ll give Java 8 a try.

Ben

IIRC Apple’s Java 1.6 is installed into a different file hierarchy as Oracle's 1.7, 1.8, etc. paths may need to be adjusted.

BTW: I managed to build octave 4.2.1 under MacPorts, using gcc 7.2 under High Sierra. No GUI whatsoever:

“octave: no graphical display found”

I have no idea what changed.

Marius
--