Re: GUI on MacOS X !

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: GUI on MacOS X !
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2017 19:09:08 -0400

On Sep 24, 2017, at 6:40 PM, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:

On Sep 24, 2017, at 4:29 PM, Daniel J Sebald <address@hidden> wrote:

On 09/24/2017 07:03 AM, Sebastian Schöps wrote:
Am 24.09.2017 um 13:49 schrieb Ben Abbott <address@hidden>:
On Sep 24, 2017, at 7:26 AM, Sebastian Schöps <address@hidden> wrote:
The GUI hangs when I quit, so its not “stable” yet.

This is also what I observe since more than half a year. Octave hangs on
exit:
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?50025
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?50795

Homebrew has stopped shipping the GUI. I did not see any change recently.
However, I am compiling with qt5.9. Maybe this makes a difference.

By the way: to my knowledge we should drop support for qt4 as it is
unsupported and has many knows bugs.

I’m still using Qt4 because I was never able to complete a successful build wth Qt5 (via Fink).

If there are any maintainers on MacOS who would like to get the gui working, now may be a good opportunity.
I like to add that we have - thanks to Simone Deparis - an macOS development machine... dear qt experts, please help!

I don't have Mac OS X, but I looked at the code a bit.

First, in Linux I migrated from Qt4 to Qt5 a little while ago and had no problems.  A couple years ago Qt5 was unstable so I stuck with Qt4, but I suspect that is because of distro build tools used by Qt5 hadn't caught up.  So, I'd say anyone looking to migrate from Qt4 to Qt5 shouldn't have but a small number of issues, if any.

Regarding the Mac OS crash at shutdown, I suspect this is a consequence of Octave not correctly shutting down the QThread that holds the interpreter.  It's just that Linux working is probably luck more than anything.  On Mac OS, no such luck.

I've posted some comments at this bug report:

https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?50025

I'm not sure of how to proceed because I think the GUI startup/shutdown sequence needs to be overhauled, which might take a while.

Dan

I’m having trouble with pkg-config looking for QtCore.pc instead of Qt5Core.pc (I expect Qt5Gui.pc and Qt5Network.pc are next). How did you resolve that for your Linux build?

Ben

I’ve made progress, but am seeing this "QAbstractItemModel::beginResetModel not found; disabling Qt GUI

Apparently beginResetModel is obsolete?

Ben