Re: get(0, 'format') change between 4.0 and 4.2 ?

From: Nicholas Jankowski
Subject: Re: get(0, 'format') change between 4.0 and 4.2 ?
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2017 15:04:37 -0400

On Mon, Aug 14, 2017 at 12:17 PM, Mike Miller <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 14, 2017 at 08:57:55 -0700, CdeMills wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> while testing the dataframe package under 4.2.1, I found that get(0,
>> 'format') now generates an error as this property doesn't exist anymore;
>> while it was available in 4.0.
>>
>> The basic question is: how to get the format last set using the 'format'
>> command in 4.2 ?
>
> Unfortunately this changed from 4.0 to 4.2, and will change again in
> 4.4.

the get(0, 'Format') and get(0, 'FormatSpacing') issue came up a couple years ago [1].  It appears it is something Matlab intended to deprecate (listed back in the R2014 release notes), but it was still present and documented as the correct method to use in 2015 as they didn't have a replacement method. I just checked, and the current Matlab documentation still shows it as the correct method to use [2], and testing on 2017a the commands still work.

I think this is the case of Octave trying so hard to get ahead of the compatibility curve that we implemented a compatibility change before they did... What's changing again in 4.4?

Nick J.

[1] https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?46603
[2] https://www.mathworks.com/help/matlab/ref/format.html