Re: (mxe-octave) forge package build issues with compiler and dev octave

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: (mxe-octave) forge package build issues with compiler and dev octave
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2017 18:56:43 -0700

On Sat, Jul 08, 2017 at 21:18:14 -0400, John W. Eaton wrote:
> On 07/08/2017 09:13 PM, JohnD wrote:
>
> > From config.log
> >
> > LTLIBICONV='-L/home/johnd/mxe-octave/build-dev/usr/i686-w64-mingw32/lib
> > -liconv -R/home/johnd/mxe-octave/build-dev/usr/i686-w64-mingw32/lib'
>
> This seems to be the problem.  It's coming from something in gnulib.  Do we
> need to update again, or is this something that needs to be fixed in gnulib?
> And when did gcc/g++ stop supporting -R, anyway?

I built stable-octave and default-octave and I see the same thing in
default-octave. Agree that this comes from the gnulib updates, pulling
in the iconv module as a dependency of something else.

I don't know whether gcc used to support -R or not, but to the best of
my knowledge it's an option that is normally interpreted by libtool and
turned into the appropriate linker option for the build system.

I think it's fair for gnulib to put a libtool-specific option into a
variable called LTLIBICONV. The problem is when those options get used
by a non-libtool-aware build system, like calling gcc directly. Gnulib
also provides the corresponding LIBICONV for use by non-libtool-based
builds. This variable does not contain the -R option.

LTLIBICONV should be used for building Octave, but maybe LIBICONV should
be exported for use by mkoctfile and other build tools.

--
mike