Re: (mxe-octave) forge package build issues with compiler and dev octave

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: (mxe-octave) forge package build issues with compiler and dev octave
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2017 13:33:52 -0700

On Fri, Jul 07, 2017 at 15:52:20 -0400, JohnD wrote:
> Octave builds fine, however when trying to install packages (after
> installing it in Windows), I get a constant compile error of:
>
> g++: error: unrecognized command line option '-R', from mkoctave.
>
> Looking at the output there is a -R<lib_path_to_octave_build_lib>, similar
> to other -L options, that I don't recall seeing before.
>
> mkoctfile -p OCTAVE_LINK_DEPS, outputs the same -R option as seen in the
> mkoctave g++ command.

Is it OCTAVE_LINK_DEPS, OCTAVE_LINK_OPTS, OCT_LINK_DEPS, or
OCT_LINK_OPTS? Might as well show us all four.

OCTAVE_LINK_{DEPS,OPTS} are intended for building Octave itself, or
embedding Octave in a standalone executable (mkoctfile --standalone).
OCT_LINK_{DEPS,OPTS} are intended for building oct files.

In case you weren't sure, -R is libtool's option for adding a rpath
directory to a shared library or executable (it gets translated into the
appropriate linker option, -Wl,-rpath on GNU/Linux). It's very useful
for building with libtool, but not so useful if it's exported outside of
a libtool-based build system like this problem.

Other than that, I would trace it backwards, look for it in the build
log of default-octave, try to find where the definition is coming from.

I do see a "-Wl,-rpath-link" option being passed in default-octave.mk, I
wonder if it's possibly being translated into "-R" somewhere. I'm not
sure where that would be happening though.

--
mike