Re: Coding style for the interval package

From: Olaf Till
Subject: Re: Coding style for the interval package
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2017 20:46:25 +0200

On Fri, Jun 02, 2017 at 02:20:33PM +0000, Joel Dahne wrote:
> Hi Kai and Oliver,
>
> I have started to modify some of the functions in the interval package
> to support higher dimensions. While doing that I noted that some of the
> coding style decisions for the interval package differs from the Octave
> standard [1]. This includes for example using 4 spaces for indentation
> and not indenting functions. It also keeps trailing white space on empty
> lines.

I hope Oliver will comment on this ... was there a strong reason to
deviate from Octaves style? If no objections will be given, I'd say
packages in the 'community' group should adher to Octaves coding
style. This is especially desirable from the moment on at which
several authors contribute.

> I'm very reluctant to commit both changes in the coding style and
> implementation changes at the same time so I think the best is to
> try and follow the current coding style for the interval
> package. This however means that I will have to reconfigure my
> editor, Emacs, to comply with this style. Should I try to follow the
> coding style for new files as well?

If Oliver raises no objections, I'd say adher to Octaves style for new
files.

> And do you agree with me in not changing the
> coding style at the moment?

How many files with changes are affected? If there are many, we should
still wait a few days for Olivers response. If there are only a few,
we probably don't need to wait so long (and I can't imagine he'll have
strong objections). The desirable procedure is: Correct the coding
style of the affected files in a first (extra) changeset, then put in
your 'real' changes in a further changeset.

Olaf