Re: GSoC 2017 Application - Interval Package

From: siko1056
Subject: Re: GSoC 2017 Application - Interval Package
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2017 01:26:39 -0700 (PDT)

Urathai wrote
> Hi!
>
> I'm interested in GSoC for this year, more specifically I'm interested
> in improving the interval package. I have filled in my application and
> would really appreciate any feedback.
>
> As I mention in the application I'm not sure about which project, on the
> interval package, that I want to work on. Any comments on which one
> might be the most important or appropriate one would be great. One idea,
> as I also mention in the application, I have is to implement a package
> for Taylor arithmetic in Octave. I think this would be of great use for
> the interval package as well as Octave in general. Though I am not sure
> if it is a good idea to start a whole new package for GSoC and I'm not
> sure I could find a mentor for that. If you would be interested in this
> please let me know.
>
> Application link: http://wiki.octave.org/User:Urathai
>
> Best regards,
>
> Joel Dahne

Hello Joel Dahne,

What you are willing to work on really depends on you. If you would like to
start a Taylor arithmetic package, why don't you already do so? The GSoC
program will not blame you for starting before May 30th. Your repository [1]
looks like a good start, what makes you stop working on it? We are
interested in long term developers, so we would "blame" you for not working
on your package after August 21st ;-) The last thing we need, is another
abandoned, half-finished, and unmaintained package. Thus no one stops you
and if you notice that you need help or ideas, we might be able to give you
useful suggestions. And if it comes to GSoC, we can define precise dates and
goals to achieve, without having to implement all imaginable functions. But
right now I cannot see that you are serious about the package and hardly
support it as I don't know much about your interest on it.

In [2] you write a timeline about N-dimensional matrix support, you didn't
even mention a word about this. So do you care about this feature? How does
this fit in the picture that you want to create Taylor arithmetic package?

Best,
Kai

[1]: https://github.com/Urathai/octave-taylor-POC
[2]: http://wiki.octave.org/User:Urathai