Re: GSOC 2017 Application - Infrastructure

From: siko1056
Subject: Re: GSOC 2017 Application - Infrastructure
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2017 00:33:07 -0700 (PDT)

Ameya Shenoy wrote
> Hello, Greetings,
>
> I Ameya Shenoy, (codingCoffee on IRC), am interested in applying for GSoC
> 2017 and contributing to the Infrastructure of Octave. I *needed* some
> *guidance* , so that I can effectively contribute to Octave project in
> context of GSoC.
>
> My Application link can be found below, and I would like to know, as to
> what *short projects I could take up* so as to be prepared for GSoC in
> context of my application. I intend to work on *Jupyter Integration*,
> *Command
> line suggestion feature* and *Octave code sharing*.
>
> C++, Python and Octave are my programming languages. My github profile:
> http://github.com/codingCoffee/
>
> Application Link: http://wiki.octave.org/User:CodingCoffee
>
> Best Reguards,
> Ameya Shenoy

Hello Ameya Shenoy,

Welcome to Octave. What kind of guidance do you need? We are not like
lecturers or employers who say "do this", "do that", then we're fine. The
Octave community is a loosely organized association of volunteers, so start
working on what bothers you. In your introduction, an interesting sentence
for me was:

"I had to use the source-forge octave package, which made me realize some of
the shortcomings of the package, which I would like to improve."

I don't know which package you mean, but that sounds like you know about
something you want to do. You provided some very simple implementations at
your repository [1], that definitely don't only work for scalars
(vectorization) and are classes in Matlab (see classdef), not functions.
Maybe you should apply for that topic, rather than working on our suggested
projects. Jupyter Integration, Command line suggestion feature, and Octave
code sharing don't seem to fit to you, as you write you don't know anything
about them, except for the Python language. They are also not meant to be
worked on all together, as it requires some time to dive into each of them!
Don't feel discouraged, but maybe you reconsider your application topic?

Best,
Kai

[1]: https://github.com/codingCoffee/octave_functions