Re: Install IO Package

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: Re: Install IO Package
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2017 17:14:21 +0900 (JST)

---- Original Message -----

> From: mschmidt84 <address@hidden>
> To: address@hidden
> Date: 2017/3/9, Thu 16:13
> Subject: Re: Install IO Package
>
> I tryed it with the command:
> pkg install -forge io-2.4.5.tar.gz.
> This don't work because my octave give me an error that it is not  i also

> downloaded the file and try the install without the -forge command.
> I try to load it with pkg load io-2.4.5.tar.gz.

pkg install
command install package

If you use -forge option, you should not give file name.

Use

pkg install -forge io

*********
However, this command only works octave-4.2.1 on windows because of change
web site URL style.  For octave 4.2.0 before, you should download package
source file
(e.g. io-2.4.6.tar.gz) and place it to current directory (folder).
and execute

pkg install io-2.4.6.tar.gz
(do not add -forge option in this case.)
*********

pkg load

command to add package already installed to to the path.

After loading a package it is possible to use the functions provided by the
package.

However, octave 4.0.1 or latter, many pre-build octave-forge packages are
installed.
Thus usually it is not necessary to install octave-forge packages by "pkg
install" command
You can see the list of packages by

pkg list

Usually it is enough to use io package before use functions in io package.
pkg load io

After pkg load command, if you execute "pkg list io"

>> pkg list io
Package Name  | Version | Installation directory
          io *|   2.4.6 | C:\octave\OCTAVE~1.1\share\octave\packages\io-2.4.6

* (asterisk) mark indicates that the package is added to the path.

Tatsuro