GSoC 2017 - ode15s : Matlab Compatible DAE solver

From: Ivan Gonzalez Polanco
Subject: GSoC 2017 - ode15s : Matlab Compatible DAE solver
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2017 03:11:30 -0400

Hello, I'm Ivan Gonzalez, and I'm looking forward to work on the implementation of a Matlab compatible adaptative BDF solver.
To start getting familiar with the project, I have a few questions:
1)What does it mean that the solver must be adaptative? (as in, being able to change it's stepsize on a whim, or to adapt to different kinds of DE?)
2)As the SUNDIALS library will be used, and has both C and a MEX interface, would the backend of the solver have to be C-only or MEX-only? as I understand now, MEX files are only C files that are read as scripts, without having to be compiled.

Greetings,
Ivan.