Re: OF: proposal for reviewing packages

From: Julien Bect
Subject: Re: OF: proposal for reviewing packages
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2017 13:14:12 +0100

Le 29/01/2017 à 22:13, Marco Atzeri a écrit :
FWIW, I only ever got notifications for the tickets I uploaded there myself.
So some form of subscription might be required.

Philip

the page
https://sourceforge.net/p/octave/package-releases/?source=navbar#

allows subscription, see mail icon.
Validation before release is useful to test packages on platform
that the maintainer can not check, like cygwin for me.

Apparently the default behaviour is like this:

 * admins are automatically subscribed to the email alerts of the package release tracker, which would explain why Carnë didn't remember doing anything special for it.

 * other users ("Developer", "Member" or "authenticated" group) receive alerts for the tickets that they have created, or when they have contributed to the discussion.

Anyway, for those who want to be informed of the activity on the package release tracker, there are two solutions:

 * subscribe to the RSS feed, as suggested earlier by Oliver,

 * or subscribe to the email alerts, as suggested by Marco.

Both options are available on the tracker page [1] through small icons located in the top "package release" bar, next to the "Maximize" button.

All those who want to participate to the review of packages should subscribe now to one of the two types of alerts.

We don't have yet a shared "check list", but we will work on it.  You can already start to contribute by doing the following steps when someone requests a package release:

a) download the package tarball from the ticket (or try to reproduce it from the source repo using "make dist"),

b) check the md5sum,

c) install the package,

d) run the unit tests,

e) report errors, warnings or comments on the tracker  (along with any relevant piece of information: platform, version of Octave, version of dependencies, etc.).

@++
Julien

[1] https://sourceforge.net/p/octave/package-releases/

PS : there is the possibility to activate a voting system on the package tracker.  It is not currently activated, but we can activate it if enough people think it's a good idea.