Re: Algorithmic Differentiation in Octave

From: Olaf Till
Subject: Re: Algorithmic Differentiation in Octave
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2017 21:13:31 +0100

On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 12:38:55PM -0700, Brad Bell wrote:
> On 01/24/2017 12:32 PM, Olaf Till wrote:
> ... snip ...
> >It seems you've been able to create Octave plugins with swig. There
> >have been problems in the past with swig and Octave. I don't know the
> >current state. But it makes me a bit uneasy to depend on swig being
> >up-to-date with Octave, since AFAIK the Octave part of swig is
> >maintained independently from Octave. But maybe we could use the
> >generated code directly for adaptions to future Octave versions, if
> >swig should not be up-to-date anymore.
> >
> >Olaf
> >
> I have kept to a very minimal swig interface to make it more robust. In
> fact, I have implemented my own version of exception handling
>     http://www.seanet.com/~bradbell/cppad_swig/error_message.htm
> because I could not get the swig version to work reliably. See
>     http://www.seanet.com/~bradbell/cppad_swig/swig_xam.i.htm
> For some swig examples I used to test what worked.

Ok, sounds good again.

Unrelated: Your license is AGPL3. Combined with Octave, in particular
with further Octave plugins used, your code may get _indirectly_
accessible over network. Does this mean that your code, if modified by
us, should always give a 'prominent notice' to the user on where the
source code is located?

Olaf

PS: We should better keep the list CCed, but I've switched to the
maintainers list now.