Re: have headers & libs, but cannot configure/make

From: Chris Roat
Subject: Re: have headers & libs, but cannot configure/make
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2017 16:42:33 -0800

On Fri, Jan 6, 2017 at 1:23 PM, Mike Miller <address@hidden> wrote:
I'm moving this to the maintainers list, please include it in future
replies instead of the help list.

On Fri, Jan 06, 2017 at 11:43:01 -0800, Chris Roat wrote:
> I'm happy to help where I can. It's easy for me to test things, and suggest
> improvements.  I've use makefiles/autotools/configure in the past, so might
> be able to suggest things here and there.

If you are able to try to build from the current hg development branch,
the problems you encountered with PCRE and CXSPARSE should now be fixed,
no workarounds needed.

The PCRE fix gets me through the configuration.  Woohoo.

However, it seems the PCRE include dependency is not added during compilation, so the libinterp/corefcn/regexp.cc compile fails.  If I do that one manually, and restart the make, I can get all the way to the end.

I did find I needed tools like bison, flex, gperf, rsvg-convert, icoutils.  Are those required when building from a released version, the same way bootstrap has already been run?

Nothing has been done yet about fontconfig/freetype or GLPK yet. Can you
please test with the default branch and see whether you still need
workarounds for those libraries (and whether any other problems have
arisen)?

I notice that, on my system, `pkg-config --libs fontconfig` yields
"-lfontconfig -lfreetype". So it may be that Octave is relying on that
implicit dependency, while in your case you need to add -lfreetype.

Gotcha.  It's not clear how these dependencies should be managed.  For example, for FT2_LIBS, I needed freetype, png, and zlib.   And for --with-fontconfig, I also needed an XML library (in addition to $FT_LIBS).

I also just spotted a possible typo, configure.ac refers to
FREETYPE_LIBS, which should probably be FT2_LIBS. Can you test whether
that helps your build?

Not sure why, but I did not have to update that.

The only other 2 non-standard things I'm doing are:
CPPFLAGS has -I for the SuiteSparse_config directory.  That could be specific to my setup or version (4.2.1).
LDFLAGS still needs the GLPK library.

Hope this helps,