Working on nnet package

From: Francesco Faccio
Subject: Working on nnet package
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2016 21:51:15 +0000

Dear all,

I would like to keep contributing in Octave development and one of my greatest passions at this moment is Neural Networks.

Since the nnet package doesn't have a maintainer and a lot of functions in the package are obsolete, the first changes I made were to write a "make check" option in the Makefile and to remove some deprecated functions.

Here you can find these preliminary changes:

https://bitbucket.org/Francesco_Faccio/octave-nnet/commits/all

I think that the next steps (not necessarily in this order) could be to:
- modify the test suite (which fail) in order to make the tests work without deprecated functions
- write the "documentation build" in the Makefile
- write some more tests inside the m-files
- make the functions which already exist more Matlab compatible
- write some new functions in the package

I would really appreciate to be guided with these few steps in order to start working in the right direction.

Thank you and best regards,

Francesco Faccio