Regarding categorical array and GSoC 2017

From: NVS Abhilash
Subject: Regarding categorical array and GSoC 2017
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2016 22:19:18 -0800 (PST)

Hi all,

I have just started learning Octave, I am working on implementing the
categorical arrays. I am
not able to give full attention to the octave development as my
semesters' final exams are gonna start. But still I managed to do
something.

https://bitbucket.org/nvs232/octave-categorical

Please check it out. I have implemented the following:

1. categorical function
2. iscategorical
3. categories
4. display

I know it has many things unimplemented like:

1. categorical function doesn't sort the catnames if ordinal is false
2. categorical only supports cell array of character vectors.
3. I have not done proper error checking for the input parameters.

And their are many more functionality and functions to add.
I will be giving my full time from 17 December(When my exams end).
Please fell free to provide feedback upon the code.

I would wanna know what time do you expect the project to be completed?
I have got doubts in my mind. I am confused. I wanted to do some
project which could help me get started in octave so that I could
apply for GSoC. But now, that I am doing this project. I feel as if
this project will take time. And I wanna know is there a chance that
this project could be a part of GSoC.

What I mean is, is is the project scope big enough to qualify as a
GSoC project. If so, that could help me to partially complete the
project now, and then provide a full complete functionality in the
summer.

If such a thing is not possible, I request you to guide me for what do
you think I should do, should I try to complete this project till
December end, and then prepare for some other potential GSoC projects
like improve logm, sqrtm... ( The one I was interested and discussed
about the same with Mudil). or I should take some other path.

I would be thankful for your help.

Thanks,
NVS

-----