Re: Any outstanding bugs before rc4?

From: John Swensen
Subject: Re: Any outstanding bugs before rc4?
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2016 12:51:04 -0800

> On Nov 7, 2016, at 12:34 PM, Sebastian Schöps <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> John Swensen-3 wrote
>>> On Nov 7, 2016, at 9:19 AM, Rik &lt;
>
>> rik@
>
>> &gt; wrote:
>>>
>>> 11/17/16
>>>
>>> I checked in changes to fix bug #49509 and #49501 this morning.  Does
>>> anyone know of anything else that must be fixed before the next release
>>> candidate (rc4) is made?
>>>
>>> --Rik
>>>

>> Definitely not something that will get fixed in the near future, but
>> Octave 4.2 has been really bad on OSX (Homebrew built). Octave 4.0.3 is
>> quite usable, so it isn’t a show stopper but would recommend that 4.2 not
>> be considered a “stable release” for OSX.
>
> Well the gui can be easily disabled, so we could declare only the cli as
> "stable" for Mac. Generally, I think many issues are rather due to qt5 vs.
> qt4. Not sure how qt5 performs on other platforms.
>
> Sebastian
>

> --

I should amend my previous statement to clarify based on Sebastian’s comment.
It is, in fact, the GUI that is unusable. I don’t get any of the
hanging/crashing problem when running with the —no-gui option. All of the QT5
plotting works without hiccups (with the exception of the scaling problems) on
OSX when running from the command line and plotting with the QT5 OpenGL
backend. My basic workflow until we can solve the GUI issues (hopefully I can
help) is Aquamacs as editor and ‘octave —no-gui’.

John S.