Re: Website update

From: Alex Krolick
Subject: Re: Website update
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2016 01:53:04 +0000

On Nov 2 2016, at 5:12 pm, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:

On 11/02/2016 12:32 PM, Oliver Heimlich wrote:

> On 01.11.2016 02:10, siko1056 wrote:
>> [2]: https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/new/
>
> Nice, some minor remarks:
>
> 1. Without _javascript_, the margin between the menu bar and the content
> is wrong (too small / negative).
>
> 2. Without _javascript_, the menu is invisible on my phone.

Is _javascript_ necessary now? If we can't eliminate it, can we minimize
its use and try to make it so basic things still work even if it is
disabled?

The site is 99% static with links doing most of the work. JS is only used to trigger the dropdown on mobile. On desktop everything should work. I think if you do "request desktop site" on a mobile browser you can browse without _javascript_.

> 3. I would not put a link to Matlab on the website.

Agree.

Noted

jwe

The SVG images are a good idea. If anyone wants to do something even fancier as a demo plot, or has any stylistic comments on the axes labels, etc,. suggestions welcome.

--
Alex